Google has announced that from 01 July 2023 no new data will be processed in the standard properties. What does this mean for your website and what preparations do you need to make?
From July 2023, traditional implementations of Google Analytics should no longer show hits. The deadline for properties in Google Universal Analytics 360 is October 01, 2023. Additionally, you have six months after July 01, 2023 to export the data from Universal Properties.
That’s why it’s important to switch to GA4 in time and set up appropriate Properties. But first, let’s see what exact changes will occur with Google Analytics 4.
- GA4, unlike Universal Analytics, is cross-platform which includes websites, apps, etc.
- GA4 sets a user focus, while Universal Analytics sets a focus on sessions
- In the structure of GA4, the data view and filter will be eliminated, instead the report/analyses will offer the ability to filter directly
- More comprehensive and complex analytics will be possible
- This will add new tools, procedures, funnel analyses, user life-time analyses, etc.
- Standard interactions (click, scroll, etc.) can be customized in an “out of the box” function
- Standard goals can be easily defined and activated in GA4 via the menu under events
Even if the transition is always difficult at the beginning, the change from Google Universal to GA4 brings many advantages. Alone the advantage that GA4 is no longer dependent on cookies and thus increases the data protection around wunderfull. But even with GA4 you have to be legally careful and get the permission of the visitors.
And even with some critics in the background, who do not like to welcome the change to GA4, the conversion will be enforced in 2023. So if you want to continue using Google Analytics, you should be prepared for the changes.